Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:45:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, bpechter@shell.monmouth.com, brett@lariat.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swan song

> You know, John, this invective about "boneheaded marketing" is
> starting to piss me off,

As it should, because I would be very embarassed if I was you.

> and mostly because I never got spit in the
> way of logistical support from you when it comes to marketing this
> product - you talk a good fight, but when it comes time to actually
> "fight" you run away, citing a lack of ability at writing or speaking
> or, if you're feeling especially cagey, the fact that you "can't talk
> about your work."

I cannot deal with public situations -- however you have done
squat for the project in the arena of marketing.  OSDI != marketing,
and a good person has taken over the VM (and hopefully the VFS).

> need to violate a single Oracle NDA to give a paper at OSDI or the
> USENIX technical conference on what you've done with FreeBSD's VM
> system, for example, or to write about it for Dr. Dobbs Journal if
> you're feeling less inclined to face the crowds.

The bonehead and silly marketing problems with FreeBSD have nothing
to do with the lack of papers.  The technical issues for FreeBSD
haven't been where the idiocy has wasted valuable time for FreeBSD.

> Either start putting up here or confine your barking to a topic in
> which you've actually shown yourself willing to directly contribute.
> To do otherwise only pisses those people who *ARE* attempting to do
> something, anything, regardless of whether anyone else thinks it's
> "enough" or not.  At least we're doing something tangible, a
> characteristic you yourself would do well to emulate before you fire
> off your next quiver of arrows in this forum.

I understand that your feelings might be hurt, as they should be.  If
I was you, I would be embarassed as to how much good will you have
wasted (but not totally lost) in the community.l

John