Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 08:10:48 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd redial script

rowan,

On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 08:45:49PM +1000, Rowan Crowe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a redial script I wrote the other night, which redials after the
> link drops out but backs off exponentially if redial attempts keep
> failing. (In Australia, we pay 25c per call, so if the other end is
> answering but there's some sort of PPP problem, constant redials could end
> up costing $$$). Redial delay is capped at 300 seconds maximum.
>
> Basically the delays for repeated failed attempts will go something like:
> 5, 15, 45, 135, 300, 300, 300...
>
> Once the link has been up more than 10 minutes, it is considered "stable"
> and the redial delay is reset to 5 seconds when it next drops.
>
> I'd be interested in any comments. Feel free to use it yourselves. To run
> it in the background use '&' on the commandline. (the info messages could
> probably be >>'d to a log file).

one thing that would make ths really usefull, more than an
exponential backoff is a determinable cuttof point, that is a
point at which teh script 'times out' so to speak and stops
trying.

we have some wondderfull cicsos up here tthat have a strange idea
of what v.90 pstn connectivity is supposed to be. it is not
unknown fro a modem (with pppd) to just keep redailing, at 25
cents a time.

just a thought, for us not free local call types outside of usa
telephone thinking/billing areas.

regards

jonathan