Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 18:46:09 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie tip

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 11:49:39AM -0700, unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:
> > Can you elaborate on that one? By switching to a different vconsole, do you
> > mean pressing Alt-F2 and then Alt-F1 again?
>
> Yep.  That should clear the scrollback info, as long as *BSD uses the VGA
> memory to handle the scrolling (I'm assuming).

Uh, no. That won't work. That is why I asked you to elaborate: Perhaps you
meant something else.

But FreeBSD uses some other mechanism than VGA pages. FWIW, you can recompile
the system to have one virtual console for every Alt-Fnn key available,
something you could not all fit into VGA memory anyway.

I checked this, just to be sure, but the scroll mechanism works even after
logging out and switching between consoles. It even remembers the states of
CapsLock, NumLock, and ScrollLock for each virtual console, a nice example of
fine engineering.

Adam