Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 11:27:23 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, green@unixhelp.org, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, thyerm@camtech.com.au
Subject:   Re: Fixed my MAMEd sio problem. Was: Re: Doesn't anyone care about the broken sio ??

>Just so you all know (the list included) how I have fixed my silo
>overflow problem which occurred while running xmame (and after I quit
>until I restarted the X server)....
>
>I have found the problem doesn't occur if I remove the following lines
>from the shell script I use to start xmame:
>
>xsetpointer Joystick
>sleep 1
>xsetpointer pointer

FreeBSD's joystick driver certainly causes silo overflows.  It disables
CPU interrupts and polls for 2 msec.  For 16550 serial hardware, this may
cause loss of 21 characters at 115200 bps (23 characters arriving in
2 msec less 2 characters of buffering provided by the 16550 fifo above
the trigger level).  If sio used a more conservative trigger level of 8,
then then the loss would be limited to only 15 characters.

>With those lines in the script I had to restart the X-server after
>using xmame or I'd get continuous silo overflows.

Closing the joystick device should also work.

The joystick driver shouldn't disable CPU interrupts or mask clock
interrupts.

Bruce