Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 14:57:39 -0700
From:      "Angus Scott-Fleming" <angussf@geoapps.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New install Not recognizing ed0

All,

I have a new system, 486/80 w 24 MB  RAM, 3GB IDE hard drive on a
separate controller card (not on the motherboard), unsupported Sanyo CD
on its own controller card at 0x320, NE2000 clone at IRQ10/0x300 (& I
don't have a diagram for the NE2000 clone so I can't change the 0x300
easily).  I bought the 4-CD FreeBSD 3.1 set plus manual from
ftp.cdrom.com.  Because the CD-ROM is unsupported, I've created a 250
MB DOS partition and copied all of /BIN and /DOCS and some other stuff
from the CD-ROM to the DOS partition.  I can boot just fine using
floppies created from the CD, and I can run through the newbie install
just fine.  I can change the NE2000-card to 0x300 during the initial
install and it "takes" and recognizes it just fine during the install.
However, once the install completes and it tells me to remove all
floppies and reboot, it hangs hard - as in "reset-switch-time" - when
it reaches "ed0", and it's trying to set "ed0" to the default of 0x280.
 Occasionally I can get it to boot by preventing "autoboot" and typing
"boot" at the initial prompt.  What am I doing wrong and how can I get
this to work reliably?

TIA ...

Angus Scott-Fleming      GeoApplications, Tucson, Arizona
angussf@geoapps.com   1-520-323-9170 / fax 1-520-327-7752