Date:      Sat, 05 Jun 1999 18:27:17 -0700
From:      Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

> This wouldn't help the poor sod whose connection gets shot down every
> eight days while he's not there and doesn't know what hit him.

One thing that no one points out is that this "idle" connection
is potentially a security threat. Even if the physical connection
is iced and is reconnected later using the same IP and the TCP
connection is restored because it was kept alive, this presents a
whole new world of interesting exploits. It's non-trivial, but
that doesn't stop people like Network Associates' Labs from
publishing papers on the subject.

It seems to me that the keepalive might improve the security
situation in the case in addition to doing something about
connections with unknown status.

The "poor sod" in this situation deserves something untoward,
IMNSHO. Protocols like ssh do send something periodically whereas
telnet doesn't. Telnet is a well-known security problem. As others
have pointed out, this is an endemic problem in applications
generally speaking, where a long-term "idle" connection isn't
treated as an exception or an an error.

Your point on randomization is well taken and is generally what's
taught in graduate Internet architecture related courses (ok, Lixia
Zhang will drill this into your head here at UCLA, YMMV elsewhere.)
Although a more conservative distibution would be [t-t/2, t + 2t]. :-)

-scooter