Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:14:41 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Resolution:  FDP reorganisation

[cc'd to -- doc@FreeBSD.org
            FreeBSD-translate@ngo.org.uk
            jdp@FreeBSD.org              ]

Heads up, the FDP directory change should be happening this weekend.

After talking with John Polstra, it was decided that the wholesale
repository copies and moves within doc/ that I had originally
requested were infeasible due to the scale of the request.  So we've
changed how it's going to be done.

You can see my original request here;

    <URL:http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=29946+0+archive/1999/freebsd-doc/19990614.freebsd-doc>; [1]

Notice the directory structures that were requested.  That's still the
target for after the conversion, we're just going to get there slightly
differently.

At some point this weekend (to be decided by CVS Rep. Manager John Polstra)
the doc/ repository will be frozen.  It will then be moved aside, and a
new doc/ repository created.

All the English documentation from the old repository will be copied in to
its new location in the tree, retaining all the CVS logs, revision
histories, and so on.

This will be carried out by John.

I will then RE-IMPORT the non-English docs into the tree into the new
directories.  This means that all the non-English docs will revert to
revision 1.1 when you next see them.

I'm almost 100% certain this won't be a problem -- while the non-English
docs do have revision histories and logs, they are all of the form
"Synched with vX.Y of the English equivalent".  So while this will lose
history information from the non-English docs, I don't think it's important
history information.

I'm willing to be corrected on this if there's any documentation in the
non-English trees that needs the revision history kept.  Please let me
know if this is the case.

I don't want to have to stall on this much further -- waiting to get this
change organised has held up a bunch of planned work in doc/, and in
particular, I'm grateful to the French translation team, who have patiently
waited for this to be sorted out before I can commit their excellent work
on translating the Handbook, FAQ, and web site to French.

[1] There are two changes to that message.  In conjunction with the recently
    committed change that moved /usr/share/local/zh_TW.BIG5 to zh_TW.Big5,
    the "Big5" variant will be used in the new repository as well.

    And after comments from the Japanese Doc. Proj., the directory for
    Japanese docs in the repository will be ja_JP.EUC-JP.

    Note that these names are not (necessarily) the same names that the
    documentation will be installed under, they are for the CVS
    repository.
--
--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--

--
 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs