Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 07:29:31 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeLinux

I've not used Linux, but I've been told that there is considerable
difference among the several principal variants.  Once a bunch of
user software has been installed over the net, from the user's
point of view (and to some extent, the adminstrator's), is FreeBSD
more or less different from the Linux variants as they are from
each other?  And if the answer is that they are all pretty similar,
then perhaps a customized version of FreeBSD could be prepared that
emphasizes the similarities, distributed as FreeLinux or LinuxBSD.
(I'm thinking in terms of a FreeBSD kernel with a Linux API in
front, a reshuffled directory hierarchy, and several of the more
prominent Linux applications--sort of a Linux emulation on steroids.)

Why?  You ask, "Why?!"

I'm curious as to how many users would be attracted to a product
incorporating the "Linux" handle, plus greater out-of-the box Linux
compatibility, compared to more or less the same thing without it.

After all,
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet.

-Greg Shenaut