Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:10:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        aron@cs.rice.edu (Mohit Aron)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD tuning for webserver performance

> Hi,
> 	during my work on FreeBSD with Webservers, I've come across several
> minor tuning enhancements that need to be applied to the kernel for efficient
> performance with Web servers. I'm listing some of them below - perhaps these
> 2) Increase IP interface queue size (default 50). It can be changed by
>    recompiling kernel after setting IFQ_MAXLEN in sys/net/if.h. This parameter
>    determines the max number of packets in a burst that can be handled by the
>    webserver. A value of 50 is rather small - SYN packets received from
>    clients connecting simultaneously can overrun the IP queue. I usually
>    increase this value to 1000.

this one i'd be a bit careful about. The same parameter is used
for both input (ipqmaxlen = IFQ_MAXLEN) and output queues. On the output
side this means you can have up to 1.5MBytes queued on output on one
interface -- that's over one second on a 10Mbit ethernet.

If you are sending so much data to fill your 50-slot queues (and this
can only be because of a burst) you do want drops so that you get
immediate feedback and can de-synchronize the flows and avoid further
bursts of the same kind.

	cheers
	luigi
  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====