Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:24:15 GMT
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ODBC support ?

Request for info on ODBC, (skip this article if you don't know ODBC)

Anyone know of any ODBC support sources that I might port to FreeBSD ?
I looked in 3.2-release/usr/ports/INDEX, but no ODBC keyword.
ODBC is a Micro$oft database format I believe ?  There's maps of Germany
available on CD-ROM, but I refuse to install Micro$oft on my laptop,
& I'd prefer to avoid Wine & VMware complexities. I don't mind getting
dragged ito C or (new to me) Java ports though.

Being British resident in Germany, near Austrian border, I'll later also be
interested in whatever format Ordnance Survey in the UK publish CDs in
(if they do) .... & maybe other countries maps such as Italy too.
It seems one might have a jungle of various formats to consider, probably all
with accompanying smelly M$oft .exes ( Ugh ! :-(  )

PS I see SCO has "Limited ODBC support" (some ref to that & SQL in Vision2K
leaflet printed by SCO Germany 2/99 (I don't know if they used proprietary
code or hopefully/maybe they ported public stuff ?) ... I don't want to get
involved with SCO exe's though, I had enough SCO on last project, & the BSD
[SCO] emulator only does 1 of 2 exec formats.

Suggestions/Info ?

Julian H. Stacey			http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/
  Considering Linux ?  Then also consider the 2000+ free packages for FreeBSD.