Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:53:25 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Invitation to participate in PPPoE Trial" (fwd)

brian,

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 09:54:39AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:

> > > Doug White's got a working implementation.
> > >
> > > User-ppp needs to be a bit smarter in the datalink DIAL state by
> > > abstracting the expect-send bit into a device-specific chat
> > > implementation.  Once this is done, the PPPoE discovery bit should be
> > > a fairly trivial exercise by opening /dev/bpfX (I think).
> >
> > would it be possible to run PPPoE with kernel ppp ? or would
> > kernel users have to switch over to userland based ppp ?
>
> You'd need to find someone willing to write it.... this probably
> means going to the author.

cap in hand, looking fro knee pads, i'm off and grovelling
(grin sort off).

> WRT PPPoE in user-ppp, at the moment, I'm only interested - I'm too
> busy to write it (unless someone wanted to pay me lots of money :-)

i realise that all things bright and shiney are seen as must
haves, but could you (briefly and not so technically) explain
to me and the others who may also be wondering what real
advantage PPPoE would offer to endusers.

or, please point to a reading list, bibliography, rfc,  etc etc.

regards,

jonathan