Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:42:04 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fxtv 1.00 - up for grabs

    It's high time to bite the bullet and dub this the dreaded 1.00
version.  Please beat on this one quick so we can get any patches (if
needed) in before Thursday's 3.3-RELEASE freeze!

    Change highlights are on the web page with details in the ChangeLog.
Thanks to everyone who contributed fixes, enhancements, and problem reports
that fed into this version!

MPEG Capture and Encoding
-------------------------

    MPEG fans will want to know MPEG capture and encoding works much better
    now.  Arbitrary capture rates can be specified, and fxtv internally
    converts to rates that mpeg_encode will handle.  So no more
    "unsupported frame rate" errors.

    Also MPEG encoding is now clocked so the audio and video stay
    synchronized, regardless of the capture frame rate.  As proof of
    concept I chose a cool TV intro which depends on strict
    synchronization.  See the results for yourself:

       http://www.freebsd.org/~rhh/fxtv/SpecialOpsForce.mpg

    Use MpegTV (www.mpegtv.com) or your favorite MPEG player.  Note that I
    captured this clip at 24fps, 21fps, and 15fps, and all audio/video
    streams played in lockstep for each.

XFree86 3.9.16
--------------

    If you'd like Fxtv's full-screen and direct video functions to continue
    to work (courtesy of XFree86's VidMode and DGA extensions,
    respectively) I encourage you to try out the XFree86 4.0 pre-release
    versions and publish your results.  Feedback to the XFree86 group will
    help ensure these features continue to work for everyone's cards when
    4.0 is cut.

    HOWEVER, SYNC YOUR DISKS FIRST!  (su root -c sync)

    .On my video card, a VidMode switch down to 640x480 toasts my video
    cards clocks and locks the machine.  And the DGA extension returns the
    wrong address for the address of the linear frame buffer!  Who knows
    what it was stomping on down there.  (BTW, hard-coding the "right"
    address gets it working.)

    Besides that, fxtv seems to work fine here on 3.9.16.

Other Enhancements and Fixes

    Please see the ChangeLog for details.  Thanks all!

    http://www.ipass.net/~dbhopper/aa8vb/fxtv/ChangeLog

As always, have fun with it and let me know if you stumble on any problems.

Randall