Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:49:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        walton@nordicrecords.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Berkeley removes Advertising Clause

> On 8 Sep 99, at 0:19, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > The "Claim Credit" clause, sometimes wrongly called
> > the advertising caluse by people who don't understand that it does
> > not invoke unless you try to claim credit for the code,
>
> I don't understand.  I don't see anything conditional about clause 3.
>  How is it that it only applies when you try to claim credit?

OK.  Here's my pat answer for this question, using /usr/include/stdio.h
as my example:

 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *      This product includes software developed by the University of
 *      California, Berkeley and its contributors.

So, here are the questions you need to ask yourself:

1)	Do your advertising materials say:

		"Uses the fantastic fileno(3) routine!"

	?

2)	Do your advertising materials say:

		"Now, with industry standard 'stdio.h'!"

	?

If the answer to both of these questions is "No", then the answer
to the question "Do I have to print the acknowledgement in my
advertising materials?" is also (a profound) "No".

> > It makes it possible to license unmodified BSD4.4-Lite2 derived
> > code under GPL (assuming it's not a hoax).
>
> Ok, now I'm completely confused.  How is it possible for someone
> other than the copyright holder to take unmodified copyrighted
> code and release it under a different license??

Under a legal theory that has not been tested in an apellate level
court (the only type of court that can create binding case law in
the U.S.), it's not possible for anyone other than the copyright
holder to relicense the work in its entirety.

Under the same (untested) legal theory, by extension, it is not
possible to change the license on a derivate work.

Under the same (untested) legal theory, by extension, it is not
possible to change the agregate license on an agregate derivate
work.

I'd be happy for you to find case law proving this theory (it was
documented extensively in the slashdot discussion, by an intellectual
property lawyer), but intil you do, I'm going to have to act as if
it's still a theory.  Whis is kind of serendipitous, what with it
actually still being a legal theory, and all.  8-).

The current common law in this regard allows the relicense, due
to the fact that we are treating software as if it were physical
property.  This allows us to apply the docterine of "adverse use"
in order to establish what is called a "prescrptive lien" on the
"property".

This means that the Berkeley DB code that SleepyCat has created
a derivitive work of, and released under a different license, is
legal, at this time.  The same for the Berkeley Sendmail code,
which Sendmail.com has taken proprietary for non-source software
distributions: it's legal, _at this time_, despite the fact that
it is derivative of a work whose authorship rights were never
fully granted under other than the 4 clause license (unlike the
UCB CSRG contributors, who assigned rights to the university).

Anyway, anything other than "status quo" is hand waving until you
get it to an apellate court, so good luck getting it to an apellate
court.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---