Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:02:40 -0700
From:      "Jayson Nordwick" <nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   aio_*

While reading through (at least trying to... I wish there was some sort of
kernel documentation available, the entry fee is very high) the aio_* calls,
I had a few questions to clear up my understanding:

1) Do they only work on files?  The only implementation I see is in
the VFS layer.

2) It is my understanding that it uses an aio daemon running as a kernel
thread (the aio_daemon() call kind of give that one away).  It seems as
if this can be almost entirely done in user space.  More important to what
I am trying to do, it seems as if aio_* does not give peak latency
or throughput performace, since the aio_daemon has to compete for resources
along with all other processes.

Should aio_* be used for applications that have high performance
requirements?  What does aio_* get you above having a seperate
thread pumping in/out data?

-jason