Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:50:31 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Shigio Yamaguchi <shigio@tamacom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU GLOBAL

I don't see much of a problem, other than requiring its removal
from the FreeBSD source tree.  Although FreeBSD has a 'contrib'
and 'gnu' hierarchy in the source tree, I believe the trend
should be to reduce the existing members there and also to avoid
adding new ones.

imho, global (a fine software package) shouldn't have been in the
OS source tree anyway.  To me, the proper place seems to be in the
ports collection along with many other development utilities.

I don't agree with your perceptions of the GNU license but do
respect your decision as the author to choose whatever license
you wish.

I'll be preparing a port for global this afternoon and submitting
a change request to have it removed from the source tree in favor
of using the port on FreeBSD.

Thank you very much for global!  :-)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks