Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 23:46:21 -0400
From:      Chris Conrad <chconrad@syr.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with NIS

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

Here's the situation.  I've got 2 machines on a network.  The gateway
machine (myrdraal) has 2 NIC's, one connected to the outside world,
and the other to my LAN.  This machine is running VA Linux System's
distribution of linux (kernel version 2.2.7 with patches for the DoS
attack).  ypserv (version 1.3.6.91 according to rpm -q) is running on
this machine.  It is also running ypbind and it successfully binds to
itself.  The second machine (caemlyn) is running FreeBSD-STABLE (I cvsup'd
everything and did a make world yesterday).  Both of the names I gave
are thier names on the LAN.

The problem is, the FreeBSD machine will not bind to the ypserv
running on myrdraal.  The nisdomainname is identical on both machines.
After running ypbind on caemlyn, it returns immediately without error. ypwhich
however, gives an error saying that ypbind could not bind to the
domain.  I tried running ypserv on the FreeBSD machine and having it
bind to itself and that worked.  Also, the linux machine had no
problems binding to the FreeBSD ypserv.

I've tried every combination of flags to ypbind that I could think of
and still no luck.

Any further information necessary can be provided.

Thanks,
Chris
--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj--