Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:56:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARPs on a bridge

> >> Is there a way to force a Freebsd system to route to the same logican IP
> >> network rather than send a redirect?
> >>
> >> The situation occurs with segmented bridges where customers on the same
> >> logical IP network are on separate bridge groups. When trying to reach one
> >> another, they are getting redirects however they are not permitted to arp
> >> across groups.
... (long explaination moved to the end)...

I think i don't understand the architecture of the system, so could you
explain a bit more about that -- i would like to learn more about
this. How many physical and logical interfaces does the FreeBSD
system see ?

From your description this is what i understand:

    customer ----[ DSL bridge ]------+----[ main router ]-- rest of net.

    customer ----[ DSL bridge ]------+

	 repeat 150 to 900 times     | shared frame relay without
				     | multicast/broadcast support
    customer ----[ DSL bridge ]------+

and the understanding is that the 'DSL bridge' is perhaps implemented
with a FreeBSD-based box with an ethernet on the customer side and a
suitable card on the other side.

Now if the DSL bridge is "almost" a bridge (in the sense that it filters
broadcast traffic) then your architecture "almost" works (except
when operation depends on traffic that you filter) and you need a
separate mechanism to implement the functionality killed by the
filtering. E.g. recognize that some broadcasts (e.g. ARP) are special
and need to be forwarded anyways...

	cheers
	luigi