Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:58:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: [Q] NE2000 startup config

>From: "Peter McGarvey" <Networks.Manager@rncm.ac.uk>
>Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:27:47 +0100

>> I see that the kernel is expecting my network card
>> be at the address of x280 while my card is at x300.
>> I understand, that I could just configure the card to be at 280,
>> but I would like to investigate the possible options before doing that.

>Let's face it, if your car had a flat tyre, you'd change it - without
>investigating the possible options.

>I'd just reconfigure the card.  No point in making life difficult for
>yourself.

>What do you think MS-DOS is for?

I think it's merely to make money for Microsoft.

For some of us, trying to use MS-DOS *is* (inherently) difficult.  In my
case, it's because I've never been able to use it reliably (and
therefore am unwilling to entrust it for any application that is more
important to me than mere amusement), and at home, it's not available --
period.

I believe that a way for the original correspondent to address his
concern (no pun intended, honest!) would be to interrupt the "spinning
propeller" 10-second count-down during boot by pressing the space bar
once.  Then, at the "boot> " prompt, enter "boot -c", which will allow
the same kind of configuration dialog that was provided for during the
install of FreeBSD.

It should then be possible to select Network cards; from those, select
the NE2000(-compatible) ed0, then (in the lower part of the screen)
specify the low address in question (and optionally, the IRQ).

Upon leaving this dialog, one will have the option to save the results;
I recommend doing this.  ("Under the covers", this writes a file called
/boot/kernel.conf.  It may be of interest to look at this file at some
point, though it's not necessary under most conditions.)

The above-cited procedure is discussed on pp. 50-52 of the 2nd edition
of _The Complete FreeBSD_; especially p. 51.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915