Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 20:20:37 +0100
From:      "Carsten Holst" <carsten@holstweb.dk>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Heiko Recktenwald" <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Subject:   Re: A few questions

Hi

On 02-11-99 at 18:12 Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
>Hmmm......, an "alternative" ?
>
>IMHO its rather impossible to dump Windoze completely. If you want to use
>all the nicenst things that flow around in the net.

I think you're right. What I ment by saying an alternative,
was a second OS to install on my computer. It wasn't my
idea to drop Windows completely (not to start with, anyway),
but I use my computer for programming, web developing,
Internet and writing papers - And all I ever hear about Linux/freeBSD
is that is does every single of those things better than Windows....
So I thought I'd give it a try.

>So, see if you can get a second old box, an old pentium or an old 486.
>How much hardware have you ?

I have thought of getting a second box, and am in fact still considering=
 it.
But for starters I think I would prefer to install it on a separate=
 partition, on my
current harddrive.
How much gear (as in hubs or cables etc) does it take to make a win box and
freeBSD box talk together??

About Linux vs. freeBSD, I would like to add, as a total newbie, that the=
 Linux community with all of the distributions seems rather confusing to=
 me, whereas the freeBSD seems less confusing because of there being only=
 one distribution. Another reason for me being partial to freeBSD, even=
 before trying either Linux or freeBSD out, is all of the nice replys I=
 have gotten on this list. Thanks!!

On my way out, I just have one more, totally newbie, thing to ask. What's a=
 port collection??

--
Carsten Holst
http://anything.dk