Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 13:21:16 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: Sun4c as Xterminal - Problems

In message <199912180408.XAA24609@p.wl.vg>, patrick@whetstonelogic.com writes:
>I'm trying to use a Sun ELC (sun4c) as an Xterminal on my FreeBSD
>system using Xkernel 2.0.  I've used the old howto's from 1996
>(Philippe Regnauld) as well as NetBSD diskless howto's to set this up.

>So, does anyone have a fix for this?  Back in '96-97, Luigi Rizzo and
>Mike Smith (among others) seemed to be doing this, so I'm hoping someone
>still does.

I think sometime around 3.0, the networking code in FreeBSD stopped
responding to IP broadcasts where the 'zero' subnet broadcast address,
which in your case is 209.9.69.0.

We currently work around this on some 3.x machines by adding an alias
address (which can be anything, even not in the same subnet) that has
a broadcast address of our subnet zero address. Try something like:

ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 209.9.69.0 alias

Maybe the old behaviour of responding to the subnet zero address should
be available via a sysctl?

Ian