Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2019 13:49:20 +0100
From:      Jan Martin Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: converting password hashes

> On 29 Oct 2019, at 13:13, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net> wrote:
>=20
> i want to convert accouts from one system where there was mail-only =
accounts using dovecot/postfix based system and SQL tables to my system, =
where accounts are real unix accounts - that do mail and other things.
>=20
> I don't know all people's plaintext passwords, and i don't need to and =
want to, but i want new accounts to work with the same passwords
>=20
> in SQL tables there are entries like this:
>=20
> $1$aab7638c$Cn7BA/oU4mzr0QltXzV7Z0
>=20
> and these works by simple cut and paste to /etc/master.passwd file
>=20
>=20
> but there are entries like:
>=20
> {PLAIN-MD5}c575f55800a549930b9063b43af04f47
>=20
> that doesn't
>=20
>=20
> is there a way to make it work without contacting over hundred people =
and telling them what new password they have?

If it is just MD5 with no salt, I suspect substituting =E2=80=9C$1$$=E2=80=
=9D for the =E2=80=9C{PLAIN_MD5}=E2=80=9D would be sufficient.

Regards,

Jan M.