Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2017 10:35:48 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sort(1) sorting IP (v4) addresses (INET_ATON?)

I'm constantly dealing with IPv4 addresses (millions)=2E Sorting the mass
is never perfect, and I'm forced to *visually* fix those out of order=2E
Yet I continue to (later) find some I've missed -- I'm sick of it!
Thus far, I've found I attain the best results with sort(1):

sort -t =2E -k 4,4n -k 3,3n -k 2,2n  =2E/TCPLIST | sort -g>=2E/SORTED

Which ends up pretty damn close=2E But not perfect=2E :(
Then it occurred to me that adding INET_ATON to sort, allowing for
an additional -inet option to sort(1) for IP addresses -- hell if
MySQL can provide it[1], why the heck can't sort(1)?
Else I guess I'll have to try and give a shot at cobbling up a C
utility to manage it=2E But seems like too much work for something
that'll only accomplish one thing=2E :(

Thanks for any thoughts, or further insight=2E

[1] https://dev=2Emysql=2Ecom/doc/refman/5=2E7/en/miscellaneous-functions=2Ehtml#fu=
nction_inet-aton

--Chris