Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:37:29 -0400
From:      "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow booting

Hello:

One of our machines is stalling as it boots.  Not stalling, really but
pausing for about five minutes before moving on.  Here's what I see:

>lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>ed1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 192.168.1.15 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         ether 00:40:33:3b:d8:1d
---THIS IS WHERE THE DELAY OCCURS---
>clearing /tmp

Initially I had thought something in the static routes might be causing the
hang, but I took those out and the problem persists.  I have two other
systems with the exact same NE2000-compatible networking card on almost the
exact same configuration (the others have slightly more RAM and use SCSI
instead of IDE drives) so I haven't a clue what's causing the problem.

If I hit control-C while the system is paused, the boot will continue
normally, and I don't notice any adverse effects.  Obviously, some idea of
what is causing the boot process to hang would be better than needing to
manually abort something every time, though.  (And I'd rather know what I
was aborting too.)

Thanks for your help,

Jordyn

P.S. We're testing this system behind a firewall before we get our actual
'Net feed next month, hence the 192.168. network numbers...