Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 09:39:05 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd - VERY old folks, how about updating? :-)

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 11:11:51AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <19991231225535.A8004@Denninger.Net>, Karl Denninger writes:
>
> >This is not a port, its part of the RELEASE!
> >
> >Its several YEARS old, and doesn't work right - you get lots of STEP changes
> >instead of what you SHOULD get, which is a slew on the system clock.
>
> Remember to get the kernel code involved.  To do this:
>
> 	create a driftfile containing "0 1\n"
> 	start xntpd
>
> That will help.

No it won't.  I've been running xntpd for oh, four or five years now on
various things.  Yes, the drift file is there (and has been).  Still got the
step time messages.

> The new ntpd is in -CURRENT.

Ok.  I built it as a local binary and install THAT, and the problem
disappeared, so I assume the old "included" one had some kind of problem.

Oh, BTW, Mutt is Y2K complient.  I get no "odd" time displays with messages
I send myself :-)

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!