Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 22:47:30 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Nathan Kinsman <nathank@mentisworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE hardware specs, advice/experience requested

> I'm putting together some specs for a type of firewall appliance using
> the eventual released version of FreeBSD 4 (targeting 4.x because I need
> GCC 2.95.x as core compiler).  My current machine specs use the
> following hardware which I am not yet sure will be well supported.
>
> FIC PAG-2130 Micro-ATX motherboard with 2/MB cache (Apollo MVP4 chipset)
> AMD K6-III/450 processor
> (2) 10.1GB Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus 40 7200 RPM IDE HDDs (mirrored)

These should all be fine, although you may want to go for something in the
5400rpm range if thermal issues concern you.  The speed differential
isn't massive, and disk speed probably isn't an issue for you.

> Poware IM-7500 IDE Hot Swappable IDE RAID device

This one might be interesting.  Does it do automatic rebuilds?

> Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ Dual Port NIC (this is recognized as two fxp
> devices?)

Yup.

> I have not been running CURRENT extensively, so I would like to know
> anyone's experiences with any of the above hardware, or any
> recommendations on hardware with a better price/performance ratio at a
> low thermal (chassis is very compact).

You might want a slower and cooler CPU (consider a Celeron), a board with
less cache (cooler), and slower disks.  Without any sort of benchmarking
feel for your application, it's hard to know where tradeoffs are
worthwhile.

> I was also considering using a NIC from 3COM, or Netgear, or even
> Kingston, but it seems that the Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ is currently
> the best option.  I understand the 3C905 may also be good, but it lacks
> an onboard processor.

The EtherExpress Pro/100 also 'lacks an onboard processor'.  Both the
Intel and 3Com adapters are good choices; I would be choosing based on
price and performance in your application.