Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:04:16 -0500
From:      Christian Kuhtz <ck@arch.bellsouth.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPv6 (Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th)

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 06:26:16PM -0500, scanner@jurai.net wrote:
> with it being in 4.1 or later. But if it's going to hurt FreeBSD in
> research labs, and universities who move to Linux instead or Solaris
> because they have a shipping v6 release regardless of how well it works
> that will hurt FreeBSD.

For what it's worth, this isn't just about research in my particular case,
as I'm not part of an R&D organization or educational space but in a commercial
environment.

Will you guys please wake up and realize that things like the IPv6forum
(http://www.ipv6forum.org) aren't just somebody's science project?  Look at the
list of founding members on that page.

There's serious demand for this stuff!  And we got code that's been in the
works for a long time, so, lets take a step and merge it.

I have a preference to use FreeBSD for this work.  However, right now it is
more practical to go with a different OS (yes, merging external code with a
a given code tree is a significant issue).  And the longer this goes on, the
less likely it will be that FreeBSD will be reintroduced.  That's just a fact
of life.  Projects move forward with the exposure being given to one piece and
not another.  Result is, you've got to have really good reasons to switch
later, and most times once you set the track it's a done deal.

Or, it's actually more the one of a missed window and opportunity.  And I'm
sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

Get IPv6 into the tree.  Now.  Thank you.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz                                     Architecture, BellSouth.net
<ck@arch.bellsouth.net> -wk, <ck@gnu.org> -hm                       Atlanta, GA