Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:13:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        danfe@ssc.nsu.ru (Alexey N. Dokuchaev)
Cc:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst), aunty@comcen.com.au (aunty), mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Mark Ovens), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating ports

Alexey N. Dokuchaev wrote,
> Hi!
>
> > yes. I prefer normal ssh, since it's X11 forwarding works for me. as an
> > aside, is anyone successfully using X forwarding with OpenSSH? I asked a
> > couple of weeks ago, and got no responses either here or from the port's
> > maintainer, except for one person who was having the same problem as me.
> >

> Actually, I've heard of SSH has something to do with X; still, I don't
> know in exactly what fasion?  Why has ssh to do anything with X?

It tunnels X connections automatically. If I ssh into a remote machine
with X installed and I'm sitting at a machine running X, when I type
'xterm' I get a window on my screen. The X connection between the
machines is tunneled through the ssh connection.

I have never had X forwarding trouble with OpenSSH, however... Well,
that is, never had trouble once I realized that X forwarding is turned
off by default in the sshd_config that comes with OpenSSH and turned
it on.