Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:23:54 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: DSL natd rules....

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

Doug White had the audacity to say:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, William Woods wrote:
>=20
> > Hmmm....
> >=20
> > Well I was planning on running NAT from the cisco to the FreeBSD
> > router/gateway/firewall and then NATD on the router gateway to deliver =
to the
> > rest of the LAN. This is a bad thing I take it?
>=20
> 1) The extra overhead of double-processing packets
> 2) Setting up static NAT or redirected ports becomes a nightmare
> 3) You're limited by what the DSL modem can NAT; at least on FreeBSD you
>    have the source to hack :)

1) depending on the speed of your DSL connection (I am guessing it's 1Mb at
	most), the overhead will be negligable, as long as the NAT box is properly
	outfitted for its purpose. I am guessing that you already planned for it.
2)	This isn't necessarily a 'nightmare' as long as you are using the right =
tools
	there isn't really that much trouble. Most protocols don't even need static
	mappings now. If you are planning on running a server, why not use a box
	outside of the firewall, and map with the cisco. Opening holes in your
	firewall is a security risk almost as bad as not having one at all.=20
3)	If you are using a cisco 675, you can get the manuals off cisco's websit=
e.
	Since you are actually using one IP from the router, the cisco 675 can be
	used in bridging mode rather than routing mode. Basically you can route all
	traffic to the router directly to the firewall. You should be careful to u=
se
	the serial management cable in case you can't acess the cisco after this. =
The
	cisco 675's are rather versatile routers that have a lot of functionality
	internally. Go to cisco's site and read the CBOS manual to learn how to
	configure it.

> > What would you reccomend doing to get around this?
>=20
> Finding an ISP in your area that does bridged, or dropping NAT from the
> BSD box and letting the router take care of that.
>=20

In my experiences and knowledge, the phone company's network does a lot of =
the
NAT and everything. Somewhere along the line your final output IP is bridged
with the ISP's IP to give to you. The NAT and routing is typically internal=
 in
the phone company.=20

> I have a bridged DSL connection so I don't have this problem :)
>=20
> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org

--cokane

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt--