Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:07:39 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Egervary Gergely <mauzi@faber.poli.hu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NMBCLUSTERS

In the last episode (Feb 02), Egervary Gergely said:
> what size of $SUBJECT should be used on a box with two _extremely_
> busy 100baseTX interfaces?

Interface type/speed is less important than number of open sockets.
I've got an NFS server with a 100mbit card in it that is pretty heavily
used the whole day, and after 22 days of uptime, netstat -m shows:

72/596/2112 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)

That's just using whatever value of NMBCLUSTERS a 'maxusers 100' gives
me.

On the other hand, when the Star Wars trailers were released last year,
I was a mirror site, and ran out of mbufs a couple times because I had
a lot of backed-up FTP connections over a T1 link.

Easiest way to determine what you need is to just let the system run
for a while, and then rebuild the kernel with your NMBCLUSTERS set at
your peak value + 50% .

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com