Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2000 15:16:35 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Doug Young <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SENDMAIL Configuration

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 02:00:36PM +1000, Doug Young wrote:

> I'm trying to configure "sendmail 8.9.3" in FreeBSD3.2, and I'm a
> bit confused about just how to do a few things. The FreeBSD box is a
> gateway for a LAN ... permanent dialup modem connection to the net
[snip]

> Secondly, I tried running the following
>
> makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < /etc/mail/virtusertable access
> makemap hash /etc/mail/< /etc/mail/access
>
> Got "No such file or directory", so I created a new empty file
> "/etc/mail/virtusertable" ... and ran that first thing again .....
>
> this time I got a different response "/etc/mail/virtusertable.db: line
> 1: syntax error (leading space)"

If you have no virtual domains on your machine, yet, you do not need to
run the first of those commands.  In the second command line I can see
a small error, since it should be:

	# makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

> I ran "man virtusertable" but that just said "No manual entry for
> virtusertable"

You won't find a manpage. for virtusertable.  You can find a lot of the
sendmail features documented in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README.

> Looked back in "/etc/mail" and now there is a new file,
> "virtusertable.db", but it only contains a line of garbage

The .db files are hashes, that are created by makemap.  You don't need
to read anything from them, or write anything to them for that matter.
They are read by sendmail, and created by makemap.

I suppose that you don't have any virtual domains, so virtusertable is
not necessary for your sendmail to work.  The access file is documented
in the .../sendmail/cf/README file mentioned above.  Look around line
1300 for some examples of how it's used.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr