Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:49:51 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snapshots and dual booting

* Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> [000303 13:54] wrote:
> 2 questions:
>
> I realize it is a moot point now that 4.0 release is near, but is it
> safe to use a -current snapshot for everyday use?  Can i assume it has
> been through at least cursory testing and will do the basic functions
> an average user might need without panicing often?

It's still -current although it's been really stable for the last month
we just had a slight boo-boo where machines without keyboards would
panic.  This was just for a couple of hours and didn't make it into
any of the RC's (release candidates) afaik.

> Is it possible to dual-boot 2 versions of FreeBSD?  Like -stable and
> -current ?  I recently discovered Linux only allows this if you use 2
> separate hard drives.

yes, you'll have to do some fiddling with the loader's scripts to make
sure each install gets it's own / then you should be fine.

-Alfred