Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:31:29 -0800
From:      Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        james@icorp.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID/config questions

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 07:08:39PM -0600, James wrote:
> 1.  What is the best RAID controller/model to use?  (for either setup)
> I've been pretty happy with Adaptec and FreeBSD's support of Adaptec
> controllers, so I would prefer to stay with Adaptec but don't know about
> their RAID offerings..

Keep in mind that Adaptec RAID controllers aren't really the same
as normal Adaptec SCSI controllers, as I learned to my chagrin under
Linux.  Unfortunately, I don't have any FreeBSD experience with them,
or experience less than a year old.

To be honest, I'd probably go with a cheaper SCSI controller and use
software RAID for a workstation type system (which it sounds like
you're talking about).

> 2.  Which will give me better performance?  RAID or RAID5?  I
> know RAID5 will give me more disk space, but is there any significant
> i/o performance cost?

My most recent experience was with an external SCSI-SCSI RAID controller
attached to an Adaptec differential host adapter on FreeBSD3.3.  With
six drives plus a hot-spare, I found that RAID5 (5 drives plus parity)
and RAID1+0 (3 drives worth of mirrorred and striped data), the performance
was pretty similar.  The deciding factor was that when we pulled a drive,
rebuilding under RAID5 really degraded performance (it could carry about
1/3 the tps relative to when it wasn't degraded), while rebuilding under
RAID1+0 was only marginally noticable.

On the other hand, this external controller has 32M of non-volatile
cache, plus on-board CPU, so it might make RAID5 seem better than it
would on a simpler card.

> And generally speaking, how much of a performance degredation may I
> see (if any) in going from a non-raid SCSI to a RAID or RAID 5 setup?

Hardware RAID shouldn't degrade performance at all.  Software
RAID0 or RAID1 shouldn't have much impact, RAID5 can have more because
it has to actually muck with the data.

Later,
scott