Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:30:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        "James E. Pace" <jepace@pobox.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/bin/ssh and SOCKS

James E. Pace writes:

| I rebuilt -current on Friday, and OpenSSH does not work through a
| SOCKS firewall.
|
| In my make.conf, I have "USE_SOCKS= YES", which is used in the
| ports/security/ssh port.

As mentioned we have ssh in the base system so your are picking that up.
Another alternative is to remove the setuid bits /usr/bin/ssh and
then do a "runsocks ssh".  LP_PRELOAD in FreeBSD does not work on
setuid binaries.  This is a security feature.  Solaris let's you do
a LD_PRELOAD on setuid binaries if the library is from /usr/lib.  So
on Solaris if the libsocks_sh.so was in /usr/lib then LD_PRELOAD of
it would work on setuid binaries like ssh and it would just work
without recompiling/linking.

However, now that Dante is available and has BSD licensing we could
include it in the base OS.  Yes it is bloat, but then people could
sysinstall behind a Socks firewall and things like ssh etc could be
linked to it.  There are things I like and don't like with Dante but
it is a pretty good package and has a better license.

I could do the work if deemed usefull.  I don't want to maintain
my own branch and we use the Nec implementation here so I don't
want to be bouncing between them for no good reason.

Doug A.