Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:31:37 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files.i386

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 06:33:50AM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> [000314 06:25] wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> >
> > > asmodai     2000/03/14 05:18:15 PST
> > >
> > >   Modified files:
> > >     sys/conf             files.i386
> > >   Log:
> > >   Remove the wd driver from the i386 kernel options.
> > >
> > >   Revision  Changes    Path
> > >   1.308     +1 -13     src/sys/conf/files.i386
> >
> > I'm still using this driver.  Put it back.
>
> I'm sure it can be put back, but your feedback as to why would be
> appreciated.  Please be frank as I'd like to see ata as good if
> not better than wd and if it isn't working as well as wd then we'd
> like to know how and why.

I though that plan was to leave the wd(4) driver in the code (which
was, by the way, still supported by Bruce) until at least 4.1-RELEASE.

This would give the new ata(4) driver a good testing period on a much
larger user/hardware base, than -current.

Having two drivers is good, because one could always try to switch to
the old wd(4) driver until his problem with ata(4) driver gets resolved.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,