Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:23:32 -0800
From:      "yramin" <yramin@mail.redshift.com>
To:        "" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   LDAP NIS replacement

Hi,

New to the list, but I'm looking into developing a way to authenticate and grab user information from an LDAP server compared to /etc/passwd  and company, or NIS.  I was poking around the library code and noticed that FreeBSD does not have NSS (name service switch) support (otherwise I would use nss_ldap already out there - it doesn't compile under FreeBSD even with IRS use enabled, I've tried ).  What would be the best way to write new getpwent(), etc. routines for FreeBSD?  I could stick them into a library and have programs that want to use them link to it, but that is a pain (although quite portable :)).
I'm working on a PAM system first (yes, pam_ldap is out there, but it sucks, lots of linuxisms), but would be interested getting some work done on this as well.  Any thoughts, advice, pointers?

Yann