Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:24:20 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE upgrade instructions

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:03:47PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20000315174557.C40984@relay.ucb.crimea.ua> Ruslan Ermilov writes:
> : Please, people, follow the instructions given at the end of
> : src/UPDATING to upgrade your system from 3.x to 4.0-STABLE.
>
> I'm thinking of gutting UPDATING in 4.0-stable (and 3.x stable too)
> and leaving just the 3.x -> 4.0 upgrade and starting over.
>
> Comments?
>
> Warner

Sounds like a good idea to me - I'm currently upgrading a machine
from 2.2.2 to 3.4, and could have done with concise instructions.
If we can make it as clear as possible it will really help when we
have to go back to 3.x/4.x later (in the 6.x days :)

I moved loads of machines from 2.x to 3.x last year, but can I remember
how?  A decent UPDATING would really help.  I've had to do
2.2.2->2.2.5->2.2.8->3.4.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser	FreeBSD: Take the red pill and we'll show you just how
Technical Manager	deep the rabbit hole goes. (http://www.uk.freebsd.org)