Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:58:58 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE

J McKitrick writes:
 +---------------
 | It is most certainly *not* a simple build world and install world.
 | There are upgrading instruction at the FTP site.  Check the -current
 | archive and -stable archive for the last few days for a HEADS UP: 4.0
 | upgrade instructions.  That should tell you what you need.
 |
 | jm
 | --
 +---------------

Hum...  I'm a bit underwhelmed here.  I've been having a heck of a time
finding this message.

I went to the FreeBSD site and started looking in the archives by
searching for "HEADS UP" in the -stable archive.  That showed nothing
newer than 11-Dec-1999.  Then I went into the "browse" interface.

In the "current" directory I only found messages for March 19.
Several of these included messages "RE: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE
upgrade instructions" but when I went to the "2000" hierarchy all
I found were messages no more recent than 19-Feb-2000.

Well in one of the responses to the message with the subject "HEADS
UP:  3.x -> 4.0-STABLE" I found a near complete quote of what
appeared to be the original message.  I'm working with that in an
attempt to make this upgrade.

Goodness.  What has happened on the FreeBSD website?  Has it been
totally abandoned?  What does that say for the OS when we don't
keep our metadata clean?

thanks
chris
__