Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:10:57 +1100
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   src/UPDATING for RELENG_3 to RELENG_4 upgrade works.

I just thought I'd drop a thank-you note to the relevant gurus.
Previous major-number upgrades I've done have always been by binary
installation of the base distribution, but this time (mostly on
the strength of Jordan's enthusiasm) I thought I'd give the source
upgrade route a go.  I cvsupped RELENG_4 (and the internat crypto
stuff), and followed the directions in UPDATING.  Everything seems
to have gone beautifully.  Even the switch from wd to ad drives.

Here are a few minor gotchas I found.  Nothing to do with problems
in the upgrade process, just things that I found I needed to tweak
in my configuration.

* You really have to use the make buildkernel method to build the
  4.0 kernel.  I suspect that that must use the new-but-not-installed
  config or something.  A normal "config GURNEY" in sys/i386/conf
  didn't work, but "make buildkernel KERNEL=GURNEY" worked for me.

* Having a kernel called /GURNEY now, rather than /kernel
  requires that the file loader.conf.local contains kernel="/GURNEY",
  otherwise the boot loader will load up the old 3.4-STABLE kernel.

* I run qmail, so I had to tweak /etc/mail/mailer.conf to point
  to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail.  I've got mailq and newaliases
  pointing to /usr/bin/true, since there don't seem to be qmail
  equivalents.

* My 10-baseT ethernet card, a PCI RealTek 8029-based "NE2000
  clone" moved from ed1 to ed0, so I had to change rc.conf,
  start_if.ed1 (and rename it), and my firewall script to accommodate
  that.

* Squid didn't want to run.  Something about being unable to run
  the dnsserver processes.  It's possible that that was related
  to the firewall being broken, but it went away with a
  pkg_delete and a rebuild.

Oh, I was confused for a while by leaving the IPFIREWALL_* and
IPDIVERT options out of my new config file (my firewall script
bombed), and I had left pcm out too.  The PCM device moved from
dsp1 to dsp0, so I did a ./MAKEDEV snd0, and all was well there
too.  (AudioPCI ES1371)

Oh: would it be possible to make mergemaster ignore files that
differed only in the $FreeBSD$ revision tag?  That would save a
lot of fairly pointless keying.

Thanks again, everyone.

--
Andrew