Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:18:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

> > See <http://www.unisys.com/unisys/lzw/>.  1999 was the last year
> > in which the patent was in effect.  You will see that it has the
> > same patent number as the one I referenced previously.
>
> That page still says, in March 2000,
>    More and more people are becoming aware that the reading and/or
>    writing of GIF images requires a license to use Unisys patented Lempel
>    Ziv Welch (LZW) data compression and decompression technology,
>    including United States Patent No. 4,558,302, ....
>
> So are they wilfully deceiving the public?

No, not really.  They are selling an idea, and the public is buying
it for non-logical reasons.

The public is willfully populated by morons, whose right to
reproduce and vote is willfully protected by politicians, whose
only possible chance of election is to maintain the population
of morons.  It's called a feedback loop.

It is to be expected that morons will pay for free things, valueing
them more highly for the fact that they have paid for them, and
thus somehow invested them with more value than their otherwise
identical free counterparts.

        "How do you know someone's crazy?"
	"Well, their wife, or their children, or their mom or
    their uncle, or someone else signs a piece of paper saying
    they're crazy."
	"And then you come and take them away and lock them up?"
	"Exactly."
	"What if they sign a piece of paper saying that they're
    not crazy?"
	"We tear it up.  Crazy people will sign anything."

			-- Alan Sherman, _The Rape of the A.P.E._

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.