Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:05:42 +0400
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio record problems in 4.0-STABLE: 1. Creative ViBRA16X

Hello,

While the bug wiping out filesystems on machines with Apollo MVP3 when ATA
driver is in UDMA mode is being fixed, I suppose there at least should be some
note added to /usr/src/UPDATING, so that another users do not loss
all their data and have to reinitialize /usr and restore it from backup, as I
had to do?

Something like that:

    If you use the Apollo MVP3 chipset, it is STRONGLY
    recommended that you disable the use of DMA mode in ATA drivers
    BEFORE you try to boot the system after `make installworld'.
    Add the following line:
      /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
    to the very beginning of your /etc/rc,
    ~root/.profile and ~root/.login.
    Be warned that if you don't disable the DMA mode,
    all your filesystems may be corrupted because
    of a bug in the driver that is still being fixed.