Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:21:51 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        tomb <tomb@cgf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum causes fatal double fault kernel panic

On Sunday,  9 April 2000 at 22:46:54 -0700, tomb wrote:
> Greg,
>
> So I have just looked at the man page for disklabel and followed
> your suggestion.  This is what I got: I added the line that defines
> a: 8496884............  As you can see disklabel complained, but I
> just answered no.

Meaning that you failed.

> The same result happened with the second disk.

Yes, it would do.

> At this point I have not done anything to the disk's (like newfs or
> /stand/sysinstall) they are low-level formatted only.

That's all you need.  I'm assuming that you're using an older version
of FreeBSD.  Do 'disklabel -e da0' and it should work.

> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   a:  8496884        0    vinum         0     0       0 # (Cyl.    0 - 528*)
>   c:  8496884        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 528*)
>
> disklabel: Operation not supported by device
> re-edit the label? [y]:
>
> Despite this rejection I run:
> su-2.03# vinum create config
>    1: drive a device "/dev/da0"
> ** 1 e: Unknown error: -1

Hmm.

> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Sunday,  9 April 2000 at  0:47:43 -0700, tomb wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I've been attempting to create a mirrored pair of disc's.  I'm not
>>> concerned about performance only the backup of my critical data.  Armed
>>> with a pair of scsi drives (same model) and the man pages I came up with
>>> a config file (listed below).  The problem is that if I use this to
>>> setup the mirro I get a
>>> "fatal double fault" <<cut>> panic: double fault
>>> message and the machine reboots.
>>
>> At what point?
>
> When I do the create command:
> bash# vinum create config

Hmm.  That doesn't tie up with what you said above.  Is the crash
still happening?  Anyway, you need to label your disks first.  In
addition, read http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html and send
me any further information if you need to.

Greg