Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:37:13 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        jim@luna.cdrom.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail missing?

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 06:38:02PM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> Yes, but in the past, you could set NO_SENDMAIL in /etc/make.conf so
> it wouldn't be built as part of the base system, and then build and
> install one from the ports.  That generally got you the
> latest-n-greatest version.  Or, allowed you to install a down-rev'd
> version if needed for compatibility on your network.

We've never had sendmail in ports.

(00-04-26 22:34:37) [will@shadow ~]% cd /home/ncvs/ports/mail/sendmail
cd: no such file or directory: /home/ncvs/ports/mail/sendmail

That should be proof enough for you.

> But if so, why isn't it?  We've got ports for things like Adobe Acrobat,
> which only fetch and install a binary.  We surely could fetch and build
> sendmail from Sendmail.org.

I don't know why; nor do I (honestly) care. I just use Postfix. :-)

I'm sure that if you pony up the port, someone with the inclination will
add it to the ports tree. You could go look up the archives to see whether
this sort of thing has been discussed before, and take appropriate action.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>