Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 12:47:23 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, FreeBSD-PORTS <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: webmin-0.79 & p5-Net-SSLeay-1.05

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 04:10:00AM -0400, Matt Heckaman wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> : 	That's interesting. I tried upgrading a couple of boxes to
> : openssl 0.9.5a today, and was universally unsuccessful. Changing back
> : to 0.9.4 gave me instant success. I started to suggest that, but I had
> : too many other variables to be sure.
>
> After reverting back to openssl 0.9.4 and getting the same results, I've
> come to the conclusion that it's something in p5-Net-SSLeay. Of course the
> port IS marked forbidden in 3.x though I always think it's good to try,
> you never know if it might work under your environment =)
>
> All and all, I'm not quite sure why it works under 4.0 but not 3.4,
> especially with the error it gives, a lil test perl script off the start
> of the webmin miniserv confirms it all though:
>
> matt[alpha]:~> cat test.pl
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> eval "use Net::SSLeay";
> eval "Net::SSLeay::load_error_strings()";

	Just. FWIW, within the week I tried webmin to see if it offered
	some idiot-proof shortcuts (or possibly educational long-cuts!)
	and it required SSLeay.  I bumped into the same ...load_error_strings()
	error.   (I'm running 3.2 here; just forward rev'd to 4.0 STABLE
	on my second platform.)

	Should I wait weeks to upgrade this to 4.0 or look for openssl-0.9.4?
	Comments?

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix