Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 16:59:14 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: borked Alpha boot loader?

> Does anyone have any ideas for recovering it, other than trying to netboot
> it off another box?  (I don't have any other Alpha boxes I could put the
> disk into, and DEC Unix on that machine doesn't seem to want to boot for
> some reason.)
>
> I actually saved the working loader as /boot/loader.works, but using the
> -file option to SRM's boot command doesn't seem to work.

When the box boots, you get a couple of seconds pause after SRM has
finished spewing at you and before the loader loads.  Hit a key and
you'll get the emergency boot: prompt.  Type '/boot/loader.works' and you
should be in business.

I don't know why the -file argument isn't used; I suspect that there are
probably space issues in the boot1 code.