Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 22:44:43 +0200
From:      Farid Hajji <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, orders@cdrom.com
Subject:   Missing FreeBSD-4.0 Distfiles on CDROM

Hi,

I've just bought a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE (March 2000) CD-ROM Set
and was _very_ disappointed, as I couldn't find any distfiles
(sources), that go with /usr/ports! In previous releases (3.4-RELEASE
and earlier), most distfiles were present on the CD Set. Are we
now supposed to download package-sources directly off the 'Net?

The 4.0 CDs are not produced by Walnut Creek but by BSD, Inc.
Is this an "official" distribution? The small printed booklet
still points to orders@cdrom.com and the CDs look exactly the
same in design as Walnut-Creek FreeBSD CDs. How can I check,
that these CD-ROMs are trustworthy? MD5-Checksums??? What's
going on here?

Can other FreeBSD-4.0 RELEASE users confirm, that the distfiles are
really missing on the "official" CDs?

Are the distfiles for the 4.0-RELEASE ports available on CD-ROM
at all? (Which CD-ROM and where please?)

Thank you for your help.

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany