Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:54:23 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting Internet Access

On June 14, 2000, James Howard sent me the following:
> Hey everyone.  We are currnetly moving our BBS (www.arbornet.org) from
> BSD/OS to FreeBSD.  One of the limits we placed on users was that they
> were not allowed to send outbound Internet traffic (ie, they could not
> telnet out from our system, etc).
>
> Under BSD/OS (3.0) the kernel had been patched and checked for a
> hard-coded list of groups (paying users had access, special binaries like
> finger too).  But I have heard that under FreeBSD, limiting like this is
> is run-time configurable.  How does this work?

I think the easiest way to do that would be to setup IPFW to deny
outboard traffic from certain groups, ie:

deny ip from any to any gid nonpay

where nonpay is the name of the group for people who don't pay for
Internet access. I know that this does not affect people logging in to
a system remotely via SSH, but I'm not sure how it affects remote
access via rsh or telnet.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a18>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--