Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:51:57 -0700
From:      David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   esound borken (was: crunchy sound with newpcm)

Ah hah.  It seems to be just esd (esound).  What tricked me was that mpg123
crunches even when I'm not running esd, so it must be secretly using its
routines or something (not sure how that works).  xmms works fine when you
use its OSS driver instead of the esound one, and auplay and the other NAS
utils work fine.  esdplay on anything is crunch.  So now the question is,
what's wrong with esound?  I really liked the functionality.