Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 12:45:30 -0700
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows))

I've been thinking about the Linuxulator a bit lately (trying to get a
DVD player from Linux on my FreeBSD laptop), and the analogy in $SUBJECT
hit me.  It has always seemed to me that one of the worst things that
IBM did was make the Windoze subsystem of OS/2 too good; there was no
need for anyone to produce OS/2 stuff, since OS/2 people could simply
use the Windoze version of Product X (I can recall being told *exactly*
this from >10 vendors).  This despite the fact that native versions
would perform better, be able to have more features, etc.

Now I'm worried.  We all know what happened to OS/2; is there a danger
of the same thing happening to FreeBSD?  I think there is.  I recently
saw that Applix was considering dropping FreeBSD as a platform, in
favor of Linux only; I wrote them a polite protest, as I'm sure a lot
of you did, and was pleased to see later that Applixware-FreeBSD would
continue.  However, that announcement was lukewarm, and left, in
my mind, at least, a distinct impression that they would prefer to
just concentrate on Linux.   I saw precisely the same attitudes from
vendors wrt OS/2 vs Windoze.

Now, I freely admit to being a bit paranoid; but, as the saying
goes, paranoids can have real enemies, too.

Thoughts?
--
Dann Lunsford       The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
Idann@greycat.com    is that men of good will do nothing.  --  Cicero