Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:55:24 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump takes ages on SCSI.  (several times faster on IDE)

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 20:42:53 -0400, David Gilbert wrote:

> >> I then noticed that the IDE would crashdump somewhere around 10
> >> times faster than the SCSI disk.
> >>
> >> Why?  Can the SCSI speed be improved?
>
> Kent> It depends on what 2940 and what IDE drive you are talking
> Kent> about. I have a Maxtor UDMA66 that is 20MB/s faster in some
>
> I don't think this explains it at all.  It would appear that the SCSI
> driver is running in some "extra safe" mode, or something.  It has
> 512M to write sequentually to a partition... and the counting on the
> screen, we're looking at 2 to 3 seconds-per-megabyte (on a drive that
> delivers write performance of about 10M/s in normal operation).
>
> Maybe what I should have said that the ratio of regular operation to
> dump performance of the ide driver is about 1:1 while it's 10:1 for
> the SCSI driver... why is this?

When the da(4) driver does a dump, it uses the CAM transport layer's polled
completion/action facility, xpt_polled_action().

It looks like there is a substantial delay (1ms) in that routine between
poll intervals.

If you'd like it to go faster, you'll most likely have to ask Justin about
it.  (i.e.,  I didn't write it.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry