Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:22:33 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 03:51:58PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that there's very little to be gained by importing LPRng
> into the base system, since:
>
> 1) We seem to have an active lpr maintainer again.

I'll believe it when I see him actively _committing_ to it.  We've had so
many people step forward to maintain something and then never get around
to doing it.

> 2) Many folks don't need the additional functionality of LPRng.

And many do.

> 3) Many folks who need LPRng will have to install it from the ports to
>    get all of its functionality.

Then how about we rip LPR from the base system and let people install the
printing system they need from ports?

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)